Wednesday 1 January 2020

Belt & straps

I might end up doing several posts in a row, to divide the work that I've been doing for Seppa's costume.

For this post, it's about a belt, particularly this belt...


...and the straps for hanging tat, and maybe even a weapon or two at some point.

Galla helped me by cutting and dyeing/staining the straps; and I did the rest of the work.


I ran the straps under the tap so that I could shape them around the D-rings for a closer fit to the ring, and the belt.


I then used clothes pegs to hold the straps in place so the straps could shape themselves around the D-rings and belt. I don't have to worry about leaving impressions on the leather because... orcs.


I punched the holes with a tool for punching four slits at a time, or the other tool that does two slits at a time. I followed that by using two leather needles at the same time to sew the D-rings and the belt loop. I got two straps finished and then broke the two needles at the eyes. I moved to thicker needles and those survived stitching three more straps. Galla cut six straps, but I needed to rest my fingers and let them heal, so only five are currently completed.



After the stitching, I bashed the stitches with a few strikes from my mallet to help close the holes around the stitching to secure the threads.


OK, so the belt shaping got a little lost during the stitching and bashing. Those straps that got to dry overnight did take some of the belt shaping too.



The slit cutter isn't particularly sharp, so I sometimes eyeballed it and used my awl to make the stitching holes.

Yes, I know the D-rings are damn shiny, but that's the hardware that I had. I'm sure that they'll eventually soften, and if not, I'll try a careful application of some sort of corrosive to remove some of the chrome.

Next post covers another bit of belt-related tat. That post will have a picture of how I'm currently envisaging the potential future presentation.

No comments: