Tuesday 14 January 2020

Leather belt work

This belt is incomplete; but it's nearly completed. Last week, I got the opportunity to work with Galla's Emporium to progress the belt for the Empire Day player event at the weekend, as I needed a more reliable and more IC-belt than the Fat Face belt I used in November.

Backstory time!

Thirty or more years ago, I made a belt for myself, to hold my chainmail off my shoulders and displace some of the weight to my hips. I was considerably thinner back then, so the old belt no longer makes around my waist (I'm working on the weight thing). When I made that belt, I designed some knotwork patterning and then carved and stamped the belt with the knotwork. I forgot to take a photo of the original, so don't ask, it's difficult to photograph.

Present day...

I wanted to import that knotwork to the new belt. Galla created a new, larger, and tidier, version of my original. She then transferred it to some tracing film, so we can reuse it on other leatherwork in the future.

Design copyright ©1987-2020 Kshni and Galla's Emporium
And yes, the obnoxious text across the image is my attempt to dissuade design thieves; come up with your own designs for once!

I confess, this was the moment I realised Galla has pretty fingers.
Onward to the carving!


I think we ended up mixing the segments sequence from the original, but the enlarged design did work nicely on the belt.

OK, I might be a little mixed up, this might have been part of the transfer stage, rather than the later carving stage.

Carving completed, we head onward to the bevelling to emphasise the carving.

Bevel stamping brings out the details.

From a different angle :)

I'll see about adding a picture of the dyed stage, but the truth is that the dyeing stage isn't complete. We ran out of daylight and the workshop grew too cold to do much more with the belt. It's on the list of things to finish for April, but it will suffice for now until things are a little more settled.

No comments: