Wednesday 1 January 2020

It serves no purpose... except...

In a way, it does have a purpose because it securely holds and displays an item-of-worth that my character either found or inherited (I haven't yet decided).

Still playing with ideas for placement.
One might recognise a similar picture to the one above, as I played with ideas for use of the three-decades-old silvery dome buttons that were originally on a black leather strap by Daedalus. I wanted to give them function and purpose again, but I didn't want the black strap. However, the black strap was instructive for securing the buttons that didn't bulge the leather in odd ways; thank you, Daedalus.

Before and after polishing.

Months ago, I ordered these 'vintage' stamped and domed buttons from Shaila.de I liked the pattern and had no idea what to do with them at that time. I also under-utilise my Dremel, so I equipped it with a buffing head and some rouge, and went at these buttons. The shiny one was after the buffing, the dull one is how they were originally. I lack experience, so I'm sure I made mistakes with buffing, but I was satisfied with my results.

I ended up using only one of them for this project, but I'm sure I can find purpose for the other button somewhere else.

I applied the domed buttons, both the embossed and the shiny ones, onto the strap, along with some rivets to help hold it together. A bit of latigo leather lacing...

Visual testing of concept.
I had some small stamped, pronged oval discs in my stash; I've had these probably for thirty years as well, waiting for a purpose. So I gave one of them a purpose.

I am satisfied with how the sheepskin strap turned out, and I will be getting two more to go with it, so I can place more of the silvery domed buttons, and maybe that second Shaila button somewhere on display.

They won't be crammed together like this when it's time.
One will notice the antler needle case, I still haven't added the felt plug for needles.

I need to figure out a better method of securing the wooden beads tie-back from John Lewis and the charity shop restrung beaded necklace, the pewter coloured rings are a bit too modern. I suspect the tie-back and necklace will end up with leather lacing or artificial sinew fixing them to their D-ring straps.

The Skarsind axe head medallion... I think I will string some wooden beads on the cord with it, to give it a little something extra.

The wooden bottle is back. It has so many purposes, just as it is.

Things to do:
  • Antler case wool plug.
  • Tie-back and necklace on a better connection to their D-rings.
  • Finish tooling and staining the belt.
  • (there are several other things to do as well, but I've listed here the tasks related to this post.)


No comments: