Sunday 29 September 2019

Seppa - Little Things

All those little touches to help bring a character to life.

Ring:

I find myself uncomfortable when I don't have a ring on a certain finger, but I also don't want to lose the special ring off my hand in a forest or field, so a substitute ring is needed.
Behold, Seppa's ring. I tried to be simple, yet just a little bit interesting, and tried to keep with the prescribed colour palette. Unlike Ieri's ring, which has an out-of-character history to it, I found this ring today in a Sainsbury's store.
Pearlescent 'gem' in a silver band.

The torso-warmer or waistcoat:

The camel-coloured boiled wool jersey fabric that will help me stay warm. I got it cut out last week. It needs a little bit of trimming at the sides, but otherwise, it's ready to sew. I picked up some potential clasps and buttons for it. I still haven't decided how I'm going to close it, but I want to try to avoid buttonholes, and go with ties or toggles.
It will need embellishment, I will probably end up using size 3 crochet thread or some sock-weight wool yarn. I'm not expecting it to be on display, it's a middle layer to help me stay warm at night or when the day is colder than usual.
You may have guessed, but yes, I did reuse the top portion of the Simplicity Nativity gilet pattern.
100% wool, boiled jersey fabric.

Neck gaiters:

Instead of wrapping scarves that could come loose and be a hassle; I'm making a few other items to hide the mask's edge.

Crochet neck gaiter

The first is in crochet and I had a pattern, and then went off-pattern to add some visual appeal and to make the stitch pattern obvious. The stitch pattern is a V made of (UK) tr. Where I went off-pattern: I did only thirteen rows of V-stitch, I didn't make it as wide. I added to the pattern at the top and bottom of the tube with single row of (UK) dc, which helped give the V-stitch definition.
I made it in aran-weight cotton yarn.

Crochet neck gaiter, front view

Crochet neck gaiter, back view

Knitted neck gaiter

This one's a freeform thing. I tried to limit the palette of colours and yarns; colours: white, cream, beige, brown, with some blue, there is no black; yarns: mostly cotton, but there is some flax linen, and bamboo-derived viscose in the piece. I mostly stuck to knit and purl stitches, but there are a few yarn overs and attempts to k2tog. It's still in progress. Most of it is knitted flat, but there are occasions where I knit-in-the-round. The 12mm needles are too large for any yarn on its own, so much of it has anywhere from two to four yarns held together. I was aiming for a rustic flavour to it. Maybe Sister Elspeth of Pickham Monastery of the Marchers taught Seppa to knit and this is the result; I'll have to ask the player if they're up for that. She has agreed, huzzah!
Doing this one has been fun; I don't have to panic over pattern, I am free to play, and mistakes are acceptable.
Sometimes flat, sometimes in the round. I haven't settled on the wooden toggles.

Hypothetically the front.

A close up of the various yarns. Cotton-linen bouclé, smooth cotton plaited, and fuzzy bamboo-derived viscose yarns.

Another section. And a hole where I fluffed the yarn over.
These two neck gaiters have been good stash-busting projects; I'll have to do more of them, and maybe a few calf and knee warmers to peek over the tops of the planned leather boot gaiters.

No comments: