Tuesday 24 September 2019

Another step forward and a cutting schedule

Finally finished cutting the straps for the fabric warskirt portion. I'll have to take a photo later, once the item's actually put together; it's a pattern that I drafted, so will be interesting to see if it works.

Other thing I cut out was the waistcoat/torso warmer in the boiled wool jersey fabric. The suggestion was to use the overlocker/serger to do the sewing, then roll the hems and hand-stitch those with embroidery floss or topstitch thread. I just had a thought that maybe I could use some other coloured wool yarn to do a running stitch to catch the hems, then the topstitch or floss over the wool yarn to add some visual and tactile texture. But I need to do the machine stitching first, and before next Monday, as I want to get a coat cut out next.

Cutting schedule:

  • Coat - canvas or another thick fabric. Order heavyweight cotton canvas? Might take several thinner fabrics or different weaves and patchwork to build density, sturdiness, and warmth. Inspirations: Japanese boro and Indian kantha.
    • Coat (because it might take more than one class to get it all cut out).
  • Shirt - Simplicity "Nativity" in plain muslin/lightweight calico.
  • Draft pattern for a shirt from the book of how to make simple clothes.
    • Continue previous week.
    • Cut said shirt, maybe from the cotton-linen duck-egg and beige stripe, it's a subtle visual texture.
It will probably be coming up to the Wassail event by this point, so I will probably miss a week.
  • Trousers - brown linen stripe; from the Folkwear "Sarouelles" pattern.
  • Lightweight coat for hot weather, probably another canvas, but with less layers.
  • Maybe the Jedi tunic? Short sleeves, rather than long sleeves, or maybe sleeveless. Canvas?
December, I might get one last cutting session before January and the Sentinels' Repose, assuming that I can get in for the Sentinels' Repose.

  • Coat or shirt or whatever I didn't manage, get on with it.
  • Maybe finally cut the Tibetan Panel Coat. I can see a hodgepodge of fabrics working well for it.


No comments: