Sunday 22 September 2019

Seppa, customising and adjusting shop-bought kit

Last night I finally felt well enough to work on some of Seppa's costume; it carried on into today. The efforts are not huge or visible from a distance, these are small alterations to shop-bought kit that are only visible if someone is near enough, and if the layers change or move and reveal their presence. I know they are there, even if others never see or notice them.


The Burgschneider satchel and Shaila necklace:

The Burgschneider satchel, no longer as plain as it was, I've added a few wandering, playful stitches to differentiate my satchel from anyone else's in the field. I used an electric blue embroidery floss to make the stitches.

The necklace came from Shaila and originally, it was on a black shoestring and perfectly sized for my naked neck, but too short for mask and neck scarf and all the layers. So I used an off-white corset lace and reused the button, and followed the pattern the original crafter used to mount the metal dangles. The necklace came with some tattered bits of string, I usually remove those for my belly dance costume, but I left them on this time. I might use some blue or cream shoestring to control the bottom half of the necklace, otherwise it can go everywhere and damage itself in a ruinous tangle.

A closer look at the stitches on the satchel.

I had no plan for what I was doing, I was needlework doodling.

The Burgschneider scapular:

In the spirit of 'much and crudely repaired', I decided to cut the stitches that held the hems intact, but also held the clothing labels from the Burgschneider scapular. I then repaired the cut stitches with off-colour or blue sewing threads to make the repairs obvious.

It might be difficult to see what I did in the following pictures. The blue-thread stitches have no functional purpose and are there to decorate the neckline that will be invisible to other players, unless the wind lifts the scarf. In the back of the neckline is some off-colour thread where the labels used to be; again, invisible to other people unless they're handling the garment or the scarf comes away.

A closer view of the neckline where the back repair and front decoration happened; the off-colour stitches in back, and the blue thread decoration in the front.

In the side-seam was another label; I broke the stitches, removed the offending label, and closed it up again. I had some spare thread on the needle, which resulted in another little doodle. It may or may not be visible, depending on how I layer, and that depends on the weather.

Seppa's Freeborn shawl:

I picked up this secondhand shawl from Quercus Emporium at a pagan event. It has no black in it, the dark colours are grey or dark brown. The beads are peacock blues and greens. I was going to pin it at the shoulders to drag around my upper arms to add an extra layer of warmth if the weather's nippy.

A Freeborn who has some RP with the Skywise orcs has offered to say it was a gift from them.

A close up of one of the paisleys.


Some potential jingle and tat:

Some of the items in the picture are too shiny and will need handling to add a patina to to give them the aged appearance. I suppose I could set them outside for the Long Dark, but the magpies might pilfer them.

With Imperial Orcs, every piece of tat has to be an item-of-worth, meaning each of these will need some sort of heroic/worthy affiliation to them because hearth magic. (yay) Thankfully, I was already sorta doing that with Ieri's tat, even if it wasn't heroic, much of the tat ey wore had a reason, even if it was a tiny or personal reason. So I will have to think about what each item's significance will be, and then try to elaborate as I can, and hopefully remember it all when someone ends up asking.

The metal belt will likely end up hanging from the warskirt; but I might add extra jump rings between the plaques to open and curve it so it can drape between two points, rather than hang straight down. I might add a few bells or leather bits to it to add some character.

The metal animal skull... uh, I've had this for decades, I have no idea what animal it was modelled after, but I like it. Maybe it was a former pet that Seppa had encased in metal.

The antique ring and bell, I have a rough story for that one. *eyes Ese*

The gender badge is by the ever-creative Steph Morris and will be used to help hold the neck scarf in place and probably attached to the scapular to stabilise it. It also means people should correctly use my pronouns because it'll be impossible to miss for those with eyesight.

The axe head is a Skarsind medallion. I'll need to read up on how and when the Imperial Orcs gained Skarsind, as that's a bit of history I'll need to know if I'm going to have the medallion on me.

The brass spiralling cloak pin will need that patina put onto it. I figure it can help with the shawl above to keep the shawl from moving too much.

The capsules will probably end up on the warskirt or on a forearm piece; the less around my neck, the better, as learned from my Freeborn who had far too many things around eir neck.

What's not pictured is some of my Freeborn's tat that will need restringing to change it from Ieri's to Seppa's tat. One thing that didn't stay long on Ieri, which I won't bother with changing, is the 50p charity shop necklace that I restrung all those months ago, and added a bell onto. I figure it can go straight onto the warskirt as it is, just tacked onto something for stability and support.

No comments: