Tuesday 8 October 2019

Seppa's embellishments inspiration

Pinterest, the great time-sink, yet a place to search for inspiration.

I have a Skywise board where I'm tossing ideas into. I now have some different ways to patch and mend those new garments to help give them the needed personalisation. Remember the colour palette is mainly beige and brown, with some cream and sky blues.

I also need to find my Zoom-Loom so I can do some patching squares.

Back to the board, there's one image of various coloured fabric scrap rings stitched down via running stitch I rather like the look of this, and it'd be a way to incorporate the sewing scraps.

Another was running leather thongs or fabric strips through cloth, then using a topstitch or strong thread to trap the thong and/or cloth strips to its base. It would act like interfacing, in that it would stiffen the area.

Then there's the Japanese boro and Indian kantha, both are for quilting layers of scrap fabrics; I would like to implement it somewhere into Seppa's kit.

I also have some batik stamps, I think those might need a strip of fabric of their own. One of them is a horse.

Another item that came to me is to make a diagonal shoulder-sash with words like 'Skywise' and 'Loyalty' and 'For the Empire' embroidered onto it, so the humans don't mistake me for the barbarians.

I'll have to throw them at the group and see what they think.

Then there's the glow-in-the-dark threads; as a Day ritual mage, having some stuff that shows up after sunset seems appropriate to me.

Also... I tried on some of the kit, getting a feel for how it might come together , its look and feel of it in motion. I made a tunic from the Simplicity Nativity. Next is a coat in canvas so I have an extra layer to embellish.

I do want to add some Varushkan Virtuous animals. Maybe some Wintermark runes, such as Ophis, but I'm kinda indifferent to most runes.

Looking forward to the arrival of the nalbinding needles, so I can add some of that to my crochet and knitted pieces. Also, antler and wooden objects are calling to me more than bits of bone, but I do have some bone tubes so using them (at last) might be good too. I'm less metals and leather, and more cloth and needlework for some reason.

Remember that you're a soldier.

Kit ought to be practical for the most part. However, I'm also a mage, so there might not be much in the way of armour wearing. But soldier... remember that I'm a soldier.

Off-topic, but...

I picked up some mapping nibs, stylus, ink, and inkwell. I want to make some Empire-related ATCs and for letter writing and sketching. I've started scribbling in a black leather book that has (mostly OOC) notes about Seppa and eir coven ey will be joining.

No comments: