Wednesday 5 February 2020

"What's Your Game" kit fair haul & Night Before the Storm

This past weekend was interesting; I spent some time trying to help at Eversley and getting used to the site. Then there was the player event, "Night Before the Storm" set in either Segura or Kahraman (I will have to enquire to clarify which, I'm hoping it's Kahraman) of the Brass Coast.

Going with the notion that Seppa's spending time down in the Brass Coast, I mentioned this in an FB post, and was delighted to find that some of Seppa's legion and banner, the Winter Sun, is in Kahraman this season, helping the Freeborn with... something, I'm not sure, but we apparently have orcish troops there, so I'll incorporate that into Seppa's recent history. It also explains why I have no idea what other Skywise are up to, as we're apart until Winter Solstice (aka 'E1).

Related, was someone else's discussion about magic and mage armour, and how casting magic by orcs is tied to ancestors and objects-of-worth. So now I need to have a think.

As it is, I kinda enjoyed myself at the player event, and early the next morning, decided to go to the What's Your Game kit fair in Gloucester.

Fox, rabbit, horse...
In the above image is most of my haul from the kit fair. It includes a vintage fox stole from Amber Wolf Workshop; the fox is a Virtue animal for Ambition. I intend to fix it onto the bandoleer so the fox drapes over my left shoulder.

Metal armour pieces
The metal scales in the above, plus the Winter Sun medallion, came from Armchair Armoury. One of them is a fellow Skywise coven member, so talking to them helped me a fair bit with understanding some of orc costume a little bit better.

It's actually made of resin.
Now I need to decide where to locate the Winter Sun banner medallion and the metal scales on Seppa's kit.

The horse tooth gave me ideas.
The rabbit furs and wooden spoon came from Chow's Emporium. The crown pin is from PD as an IC (in-character) pin for Empire. The horse's tooth came from Amber Wolf Workshop.

Going back to ancestor items as magical foci, I'm wondering if I can incorporate the horse's tooth into it somehow.

The bone knife is a LARP-safe coreless weapon for throwing or roleplay from Epic Armoury sold by LarpInn. I'll need to get a sheath for it.

I also found Seppa's weapon from Eldritch; I like this style of mace, and the blue wrapping fits within the coven's colour scheme.

Also known as "Listen to the Ancestors!"

Overall, a good haul. Roll on LARPCon and the next player event, the Symposium of the Drowned.

Distracted other bits...

Oh and the embroidered mirror eye I put on Seppa's hooded coat sleeve? It glows greenish in the dark!

I worked in some stains on the coat by chopping rhododendrons, carrying pieces of lumber, and trying to maintain a frontier stove, whilst at Eversley.

Here're the patches all together; well, except for the white pillowcase one. Need to add more.

Inspired by Japanese boro patchwork and stitching, not sashiko.


No comments: