Wednesday 26 February 2020

Warskirts

Warskirt

I've been unsuccessfully tossing ideas back and forth for months, with no leads, no brilliant ideas, nothing. Then, a few weeks ago, someone else asked about them and someone else posted a picture of a section of their warskirt.

*heavy breathing intensifies*

This thing, this right here...

Inspiration! Not my picture, not my warskirt.
I asked them about the metal and how they did it. Tin snips and sheet metal and a drill for the holes.

I feel like a fool, they make it sound so...obvious.

Fast forward to the past seven days or so, and I've picked up some sheet metal, got some new sheet metal cutting attachments for my Dremel, because my grip strength just isn't what it once was, and a workbench that's awaiting construction... yeah, side note on that, the manufacturer didn't tap the holes used for the tightening screws, so said holes are stripping the screws as I attempt to install them. *grump*

But I'm hoping that once we get the workbench sorted out, that I can clamp the metal onto it and play with the Dremel attachments, and hey, if I don't cut straight, it's ok, it'll add character to the plates. Bonus is that I learn how to do it for myself, and if some future moment, that I do need to cut straight, I'll be better equipped than just going at it cold.

Plans:

Bash the cut pieces to dent them, also grind off the rough and raw edges, gouge the plates a little, then stain with some corrosion agent and maybe a wash of nearly-black paint, then rivet or stitch to a piece of cow leather.

What's Your Game?

I attended this kit fair, and Armchair Armoury was there, I did get ten of those half-circle plates from them. Shortly after that, Galla showed me how I might layer them. So I might have two pieces of plates to wear; one for the belt, the other might end up on a shin or forearm.

Remember these?
We'll see what happens.

No comments: