Tuesday 25 February 2020

A rant, feel free to scroll past this post!

A moan about clothes...

I'm discovering that I dislike my current gi trousers for Seppa, partly because the pelvic depth on them is enormous, so if I wear the crotch where I want it, the top of the trousers are almost to the nipples. Yuck. If I wear the top of the trousers where they're comfortable, ie low down beneath the belly, the crotch is down near my knees. Double yuck.

My raw silk coat is too small to wear over the current tunic.

Oh, and that tunic... I loathe the boat neckline, and the too-wide sleeves; been too unmotivated to fix either of these issues. I like the fabric, the rest of it is perfect, it's just the damn neckline and sleeves.

The coven panel, too enormous. Take a hint from me: when making one's group/banner/coven/sect symbol, measure and trial its location. What works on someone taller or larger, probably won't if one's smaller or shorter.

Fabric scrap 'warskirt' yeah, it's not working... I think I will need to go back to playing with leather. I don't know why it's not working. I don't even know if it's necessary. *flails*

OK, enough already.


Projects in motion

I need to make the most of my classes so that I can use the big tables and bright lighting for such projects as Seppa's panel coat.


Yep, it's the Folkwear Tibetan Panel Coat.
Faded, pigment-dyed yellow cotton twill that's probably twenty years old, and Indian indigo and resist-dye cotton that's probably two years old. The fabric weights are unequal, so I might end up backing the indigo fabric with some blue pigment-dyed twill that I bought the same time as the yellow.

I will be lining this coat with the blue twill.

For the shoulder facings/"fancy" fabric, I want to do some boro-inspired shoulder pieces.

The indigo fabric, right side - top, wrong side - bottom.
I have some sashiko threads in the right colours; I will need to make the patches and scraps for the satchel, as it's too white and clean.

I need to make a small drawstring coin purse in fabric to hold my coins. The bigger leather pouch allows coins to escape; this will not do.

Small brass buckles
I'm going to have some forearm pieces made in leather, these buckles are intended to help secure those bracers to my arms.

I've lost my train of thoughts, so, I'll close this one for now and get on with other things.

No comments: