Sunday 25 January 2009

Happy Colours Scarf - Rowan yarns

I've been wanting to do some weaving again and have been trying to decide on colours, textures and yarn weights.

I did have an idea, out of many, this one using only Rowan yarns, so I could take it to the Woolly Women meetings at John Lewis, Bluewater, since it was sorta started by the Rowan rep, I try to keep to Rowan items to show (not always, though... ok, rarely!).

Another idea was to use two balls of Rowan Cashcotton that didn't really 'go' with the other Cashcotton colours I have... but they do go together with each other. Great, two things to combine...

Then there was the thought of 'warp-dominant' or 'weft-dominant'. I've been asking on the weaving groups about this. Amongst my questions and reading other posts and looking at what others have been doing, I decided to give the warp-dominant a try.

Now, I thought I'd go with a weft-dominant first, but that didn't happen.

And yes, I will get to the point here soon enough...



10dpi reed, Ashford RH loom, Rowan Cotton Glace for the weft, Rowan Cashcotton DK for the warp. The blue is much more turquoise and bright; the orange is more pink-orange. The weft is a mid-light green (not too light, not too dark). Combining these together has altered the colours of each yarn and... I like the effect.

Out of the Cashcotton, there's probably 10m or so left of each, bit less of the blue. The green was burned up, but I think I still have 1/3rd of a ball left.

I'll have more to say about this piece once it's finished being washed and has a chance to dry. Then I'll see how much it bloomed, though with the cotton content being the highest, might not bloom greatly.

And I forgot to measure before washing. Oops! I will say, this is my widest piece so far. (94 threads across)

No comments: