Wednesday 21 January 2009

Another hat from vintage yarn


This one, I cast on 104 stitches on 4mm circular needles and am using the vintage Robin 'Service DK' yarn; it's another of those ancient yarns I picked up for a very bargain price from Violet's. The yarn is dark gray-black with silvery-white streaks in it, it's supposedly machine washable and is 60% wool, 40% 'Courtauld fibre' (likely some kind of acrylic).

About to start the shaping; I've started a second 25g ball, so it looks like the hat will take close to the 50g mark to complete. I have no idea what the length of the yarn is as it's not mentioned on the ball band.

I went with thumb/long-tail cast on and did about 1-2cm of stocking stitch in the round (so, knit every row). Then did 3 rows of purl stitch followed on by going back to knit stitch.

Once again, I'm hoping this yarn will soften up once it's washed.

Last item, while I'm delighted with how it's coming out, it seems a bit too small/tight, I really wanted to cast on 112 stitches, but I also didn't want to redo the cast on because an arm-span this time was perhaps not as generous as with the other and didn't have enough yarn to get the last 8 stitches. Will finish knitting it then wash it and then see if my Darling can try it on. If it fails to fit him, then it'll go to a children's charity instead of the Seafarer's charity (BISS - British & International Sailor's Society).

No comments: