Sunday 15 March 2020

Warskirt

How often I find myself thinking 'yeah, this could work' and then discovering that it doesn't.

meh

I do need to take measurements of the rivets that I want to use for securing the 0.6mm steel plates onto the leather backing... once I've decided what sort of leather I want to use as backing.

I did spend a little bit of time, in between rain showers, cutting metal plates for Seppa's warskirt.

Gathering the tools...
I tried to use the Dremel, and had rubbish luck with it, but admittedly, my Dremel is a jewellery/small hobby version, rather than the giant, heavy-powered versions of the Dremel.

0.6mm gauge steel, and 3-in-1 oil for lubricant.
I'm impatient, though I did try cutting the steel with my Dremel for nearly an hour, I gave up and dug out my tin snips, which I'd never before used. I'm grateful I still have some grip strength.

Might not be visible, but it aches.
However, I did give myself a blister. Yes, I wore gloves, I didn't want to add lacerations and real blood to my costume, thanks.

Thanks, Father-in-law, for leaving us your tools.
To explain the above image, for those who don't automatically understand what it represents, is some of the process I gave the plates.

Left: warped plate cut from the sheet with tin snips. I used a fat-tipped marker to make the length lines, then eyeballed the sizes to give it that random effect when I cut them with the tin snips. This is why the three plates are varying lengths, but the widths are similar.

Middle: I snipped off the corners to make the plates LARP-safer. I then used my father-in-law's hammer to bash flat the metal plate where it rested on paving stones; I used both the hammer's flat and ball-peen heads to texture the surface a little bit. I might experiment more with the hammer, with striking harder or on other surfaces than paving stones. 

Right: almost, if not complete, metal plate. I used the coarsest wheel on the Dremel to blunt the sides and corners to help make the plates safer for LARP. I also used the Dremel to drill the holes. The Dremel struggled to make the holes, so I might turn to my big IKEA drill, assuming I can use such fine drill bits with it, to power through the steel plates to make the holes. Again, I eyeballed the placement of the holes.

I managed to cut about twenty plates before the weather interrupted and my hand blistered, so I have several days' worth of work before the plates are completed and ready for mounting. Weather and health permitting...

I'm intending to use the self-isolation.

I unfortunately couldn't make it to the Symposium, as my throat went sore on Thursday, and so I had to cancel my place. I felt sorta ok Saturday, but I don't want to accidentally harm others. Isolation it is.

I'm not so hardcore as to think it would be good to wear a full latex mask with a streaming nose and eyes.

Emotions

My father-in-law's hammer and tools; using them felt good, and made me think of him. He'd have known what to do, and how to do it, and probably would have had the right tools to do the job. I miss you; thank you for leaving us some of your tools.

No comments: