Wednesday 17 February 2010

a steampunk - gaslight fantasy costume

As promised, some photos... I need to try things on but when laid together, they're looking very promising.



The original idea for the steampunk/gaslight fantasy costume. Black... lots of black. The skirt is from Chivalry Sports in the USA. The brass button jacket a shopping mall find (I just love it when the mundane shops have costume items!)




I was a bit dissatisfied with a completely black outfit. I started to dig, thankfully, my elder, bless him, poked and prodded my brain with questions and such. I recalled I had a long purple skirt. Here we go, let's break up that black!




Call this my 'mood board' for this project. The plaid background is a scarf I found in the mens' department of H&M. The chains are various kinds I found at B&Q (aka 'Home Depot' if you're in the USA) and are mostly brass with a little copper. The purple behind it all is my Fat Face skirt you see more of above.




A slightly cleaner view of the neckerchief... showing the plaid off a little better.




Possible ensemble: the Fat Face skirt, which is not floor length but it does reach down to the calves. The brass button jacket. The brown leather belt with the brass buckle, the black leather cuffs with pewter hardware and the plaid neckerchief were all from the mens' department of H&M. The black leather gloves are from John Lewis Oxford Street in London - I've had these for almost to fifteen years.




The bottles, one of these, perhaps two, of these darlings will become part of the costume. I'll be filling the bottles with goodies once they're chained. I intend to use copper or brass wire to create a cup and then the chains will attach to the cup and to the stopper and on up to the chain belt that I've been working on.




Crow and raven feathers, freely gifted to me as found whilst travelling. I need to find my quartz crystals and make a decision on which one will go into the hat brooch for the costume.

And no, I haven't photographed the boots or the hat yet, but soon!

No comments: