Monday 13 July 2020

Skywise Seppa - the handwoven wrap, pt 2, warping the loom

The Handwoven Wrap

Warping the loom

This was ambitious for the first time warping the loom after such a long time; I did have to refamiliarise myself with dressing a loom by way of a few YouTube videos. Then there is the heddle which carries 120 reeds, this means there're 240 holes/slots to sley (sley -getting the warp threads through the reeds).

The loom is only 40cm wide.

It took me many hours to dress the loom, I don't remember now if it was one, or two, days to do it. My approximate measurement was a little over two metres. The completed piece ended up being 190cm before washing it. Post wash, the length is 180cm long, and 36cm wide.

Now for the pictures.

I ought to have taken the hint that the flax-linen on the far left was just that little too thick for a 15dpi reed.
Above, flax-linen, one of the silk yarns, then some of the Uppingham 'Havana' Shetland type wool, then the white lambswool, then the Airedale Lockwood Shetland black.

I had no plan, other than, 'try out all the yarns!' therefore, I did.
The blue yarns, are, I believe, more of the Airedale Lockwood yarns.


The light brown middle is more of the Lockwood. Then there's some white lambswool, then some silk, then wool, then the grey-brown Texere Silk Heather, followed by white lambswool, some of the Texere silk-cashmere-cotton, then lambswool, then Lockwood black.


I don't think the Uppingham Yarns lambswool had arrived, so the blues are probably more of the Lockwood. Then some silk, and finishing the row with some flax-linen.


I hope this gives some context for how fine the yarns and the reeds are, and why it took me probably two days to complete this portion of preparing to weave.


I would end up adjusting the tie-on into smaller bundles of yarns.


The smaller bundles probably could have been divided again, but by this point, I was knackered.

[continues in pt 3, the weaving]

No comments: