Wednesday 8 August 2012

Dressmaking... which fabric?

So this summer at John Lewis, there were lots of lovely seersucker cottons and batik prints. Today I came in and found lots of those more expensive cottons on sale for half price. This works for me. I also found a Burda 'Young' pattern, #7228 that appeals to me.

Yes, the colours are off, it's what I get for taking the pictures on my phone instead of using my decent camera and waiting for sunshine.

Anyway, the skirt pattern has a jersey 'waistband' that doubles as a boob-top so you can go from skirt to dress just by pulling up the waistband and straightening it out to cover one's breasts. Dual purpose, huzzah.

I also have a Simplicity pattern #2414 for a short-short 2-tiered skirt and an almost-as-short 3-tiered skirt as well as some long shorts, capris and nearly ankle-length trousers.

The turquoise seersucker warp-stripe, I'm pretty settled on using for a pair of the #2414 shorts.


The turquoise batik flower-suns is a slightly heavier cotton so I'm not sure if it's suitable for the Burda boob-skirt due to how thick it is and because the pattern picture suggests very lightweight cottons. The instructions on back just say 'cotton fabrics'.


I know I've placed the orange seersucker with the Simplicity pattern, but I admit, I'm just as tempted to use it for the Burda boob-skirt because it's a lightweight fabric. I only have 2 metres of the orange so I have to decide, one or the other.


Related to the Simplicity pattern, I picked up this lovely warm red-yellow warp-stripe cotton that is also lightweight as well as some un-pictured red (which works (coordinates?) with the red-yellow stripe fabric) cotton poplin that is very close in weight to the stripe. I am thinking of using these for the tiered skirt. Whether I do the 2-tier or 3-tier, I haven't yet decided... the 2-tier is only 15" or so in length and that won't cover my arse never mind act as a proper skirt if I wear it on my waist. It's definitely a 'shove it down to the hips if you want to go out in public and not get arrested for indecency' skirt. I'll probably end up with the 3-tier so that I'm not flashing everyone... that or I'm wearing leggings with said 2-tier. 


Yeah, I know summer's pretty much over with, but I'll at least have some skirts to wear if I find myself someplace warm between now and next May. I am learning that the size 18 is often just a little too large, so hurrah, I might be able to squeeze into the 16, which is a lot closer to my off the peg clothing size of UK14-16.

No comments: