Tuesday 23 March 2010

score!

About two weeks ago, I went to H&M, it's starting to become something of a favourite of mine. Partly because of some of the clothes they carry. I do look in both the men's and women's sections, as the men's section often has more interesting items for costuming than the women's section.

Fashion must be dictating a quasi-military style this spring because I found two jackets that will do quite nicely for steampunk/gaslight fantasy... or when I'm Topping at the Party.

The black jacket's 'brass' buttons are actually plastic. If I can find suitable brass buttons to replace these with, I will. The zip does appear to be brass. The jacket is mostly cotton (95%+) and some elastane, it does have a little bit of stretch. It has tiny front-side pockets and padded shoulders... one of which came a bit loose when I laundered it. Seems I'll be doing a lot of little sewings in the near future.



The back view:



The second is a gray jacket with actual metal buttons (already slightly corroded for the 'distressed' look that appears to have taken over fashion for the past few years) and instead of button holes, has fabric strip loops. 100% cotton, the fabric is not as thick as the jacket above and has a softer handle to it. I folded the sleeves up as they're just a tiny bit too long.



Closer detail of the frogs:





One of the positives about this particular jacket is that the epaulettes can be unbuttoned and perhaps little 'rank insignia' could be installed.


Some of the bottom front detail.



The back view:

No comments: