Monday 9 March 2009

The other books

The other two books I picked up at the Essex Lace Fair are on torchon lace ('for girls in India to make') and decorative knotting. I didn't realise when I purchased the book that the torchon lace pattern book was from India or for instructing the girls of India with, but I find it amusing.

Why?

Because the previous day was the Thameside Lacemakers lace day and the speaker for the event discussed lace, but also spent a fair few minutes about an English woman missionary who went to India to do missionary work and start a school there teaching lace to help orphan and impoverished girls learn a vocation (this was in the early 1800s). And according to the publication date in my book, was still going in 1909.

The decorative knotting is, just to be different, a brand new publication. I think I got it because I wanted to find a supplier for fine nylon braided cord... oh and the pictures and instructions for a dragonfly pin also had something to do with it, heh.



2 comments:

Maven said...

I am an enabler. A gf and myself both bought this book. I have a feeling it might beg you to purchase it, too. It's got some great knotwork in it, and I can see it really enhancing some projects!

Stumbled on in here from Ravelry:)

Kshni said...

I've got that one too! =) I find myself fascinated with knotwork, it looks so complicated, but often, it isn't.

And yay for ravelry! =)